And so I saved some of these straps. They come from boxes that are wrapped with them for shipping. But I didn't know what to do with them, how to upcycle them.
So today I found a use. I tied a Figure 8 Knot on each end. And used a bungee strap in conjunction with them to hold some wooden boxes that I made together in a bundle. Effectively making a bungee cord longer and taking the elasticity out of it at the same time.
Know a Figure 8 is a fairly easy knot to tie. But because these are flat straps and not ropes there is a trick to how you fold that knot together. If you try and tie it you will figure out you have to twist the cable 180 degrees midway through tying the knot in order to make the flat loop symmetrical and not bunched.
But indeed you might tie a loop in each end, cut off the tag end, and use it to hold ropes or extension cords together, etc.
Because it is symmetrical it seems pretty strong.
Anyway, I thought it was neat and that I would share the idea with you.
© 2026 Thomas Paul Murphy

No comments:
Post a Comment