The Thomas Paul Murphy Music Player

"You might think that I am off base, but I am published by the Securities and Exchange Commission."

Thomas Paul Murphy

Monday, April 25, 2022

EVAP not ready 04 25 2022

 EVAP not ready 04 25 2022

I am talking about yearly emissions tests for your car.

So I had the battery disconnected on my car.  It needed an new yearly registration sticker so I took it in to have it tested.

I got a rejection code because two items were not ready.  The O2 Sensor and the EVAP monitor.

The O2 Sensor reset the code more quickly upon driving.

Now with this year model car a 2011 you are allowed to have one diagnostic emission type module be not ready and it able to pass.

After the rejection they told me to drive it 200 to 300 miles and it would reset itself.

I put a new gas cap on the car and also checked some of the vacuum systems on it, cleaning the PCV valve.

I drove that car 500 miles over the course of 2 or 3 weeks and that EVAP monitor never reset to the ready state per my own OBD II Scanner.  (That you attach to an electrical connector under the dash near the steering wheel.

So I wanted both of those codes to read ready before I took it back to the dealer who does Emission Testing for the State!  But like I said the EVAP monitor never read ready.

I took it back to the dealer for a second emissions testing, knowing that one monitor could be in the not ready state and it could still pass, per the State brochure.  And I highlighted that in yellow.

The dealer is perhaps a mile and a half from my house.  I took it there this am.

It PASSED.

However I looked at all the boxes on the results page and it stated that the EVAP monitor was in the ready state, like it should be in order to pass.  When just before I took it there it wasn't ready.

Now I have read that the EVAP system needs an outdoor temperature of around 40 degrees to 100 degrees in order to go through the testing mode.  And it has been a lot warmer in recent days. Like 50 degrees and 70 degrees, versus what would be much colder normally this time of the year.

I brought the car home and hooked up my OBDII scanner to see if it was faulted and would still show a Not Ready state, but it stated it was in "READY"

There were ZERO Diagnostic Trouble codes on the OBDII this whole time.

I want to say something like.  Is there a way that the OBD can be set while it is being tested... so that ...and you are more likely to not have confidence in your car and therefore desire to buy a new one right there?  I don't believe that is true.  But I have seen some pretty crooked things done in my life.

Or perhaps the better question is.  Does the Emission testing computer have a way to put the EVAP monitor in Ready State?  Whereby it not being in ready state and a rejection sometimes might not always be warranted?

I would look forward to a day that the Emissions monitor might have a integrated Bluetooth connection to a standard cell phone whereby this could all be done in your very own driveway and the registration sticker sent to you.

I think we are behind the times in technology if we can't apply Bluetooth technology to this function of the car as Standard Regular Requirement.

This took a lot of time from my life.  I didn't need that.

© 2022 Thomas Murphy


No comments:

Post a Comment