The Thomas Paul Murphy Music Player

"You might think that I am off base, but I am published by the Securities and Exchange Commission."

Thomas Paul Murphy

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Long Nosed Gar 07 22 2013





The Long Nosed Gar is something out of pre-history.  This fish is capable of breathing air!  And as a natural adaptation for survival its eggs are poisonous!  It feeds near the surface.

The fish you see here is 38 inches long and weighs about 5 pounds.  It was caught on Okauchee Lake in Waukesha Wisconsin by me.  The fish is quite beautiful.  This one had a spotted tail and sides and back which had faded after catch.  That long and skinny "nose" mouth is filled with needle teeth!!!


I have only seen the needle nose gar one other time in my life while fishing and that was when I was a boy.


Thomas Paul Murphy
Originally published on 07 23 2013 at: www.themilwaukeeandwisconsinnews.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment