The Thomas Paul Murphy Music Player

"You might think that I am off base, but I am published by the Securities and Exchange Commission."

Thomas Paul Murphy

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

As I walked through the Fishing Lure Store 03 25 2014

As I walked through the Fishing Lure Store 03 25 2014

As I walked through the musky bait section I saw "Jerk" musky type baits that sold for over $20 a piece.

And rather quickly I thought, for the price of 2 or 3 of those baits a father could by his son a wood lathe to make his own baits on!


I myself was very cautious to use the wood lathe in High School shop class because your fingers can get sucked in with the chisel and broken up.  And indeed I was about the shortest of my class so from working height standpoint it would have been more likely to happen to me because of the angle of the lathe.  I would have already had to have held the chisels pointed down from a lower height, and therefore I would have had to hold onto them stronger, and at the angle to the piece it would have been more likely to catch and pull my hands in.

And it doesn't take the highest quality paint job to catch a musky.  I caught my largest musky ever, about 45", on a bait I painted all black!!!  Doesn't take much skill to paint black oil based paint on a piece of wood!

But there must be a great market for those $20 baits otherwise they would not be on the shelves.  And the corollary to that is that there are great many who don't have the man skill to make their own.

I probably bought and used my first and only woodworking lathe when I was in my mid to late 30's or early 40's, it is hard to tell my time flys by; even though it is not all fun!  So there is a great contraction to philosophy.   A monkey has you in a cage and is torturing you for 3 hours at a time.  That time fly's by for him but is agonizing for you isn't it!  The monkey is having fun so that is where we get the aphorism, "Time fly's when your having fun."

Thomas Paul Murphy
Originally published on 03 25 2014 at: www.themilwaukeeandwisconsinnews.blogspot.com

Copyright 2014 Thomas Paul Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment